I’ve decided to take a hiatus from writing until after this baby is born.
Writing while pregnant, with two small children, and a Monday-Friday job goes mostly like this:
- waking up early on weekends and thinking of ways I can do things efficiently so that I “make sure” to not need to use their nap for non-writing related activities
- feeling guilty for wanting to write instead of getting caught up around the house or perhaps resting as I should for the unborn baby
- doing too much around the house and not enough just spending time with the kids so I can “earn” my writing time
- using their nap (if they nap that day) to finish up other things or get ahead for dinner anyway, saying I will write when they wake up
- not writing
- not being able to sleep since I didn’t get enough done, rest enough, play enough, or write
This is our last baby and I want to take the time to appreciate the changes in our family.
If I do have unexpected time I will devote it to marketing and website improvements. I also want to read for enjoyment and perhaps to learn things I can use in future stories.
Have you ever taken a writing hiatus? If so, was it a positive decision?